The SC Campaign is seeking an experienced, highly motivated, and passionate individual to serve as its Director of Communications & Development and lead the organization’s efforts related to these two areas. The SC Campaign is proud to have a diverse funding stream that includes state and federal funding, foundation and corporation giving, and individual contributions. The Director of Communications & Development works closely with members of the communications and development department, Chief Executive Officer, and Board of Directors to build financial and community support for the SC Campaign’s future growth.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees the coordination and delivery of strategic, statewide communications and development strategies and events;
- Supervises staff within the communications and development department and manages workload of communication consultants;
- Collaborates with Chief Executive Officer and other members of the Senior Management Team to make strategic and visionary decisions for the organization;
- Ensures that the organization’s mission, vision, and brand standards are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization;
- Assumes direct responsibility for budget preparation and oversight of fundraising activities and actively tracks all spending across multiple grants related to communications and development;
- Participates in professional development activities to enhance knowledge and skills.
- Works with members of the communications and development department and across grant deliverables to establish goals and objectives, strategic plan and time line for all communications and development activities;
- Plans dissemination strategy for stakeholders to include: legislative supporters, funders, community-based organizations, private donors, foundations, etc.;
- Assists with advocacy efforts along with the SC Campaign’s lobbyist and CEO;
- Coordinates all pro-active media outreach and press relations for the organization including the exploration of media coverage, contact with editorial boards, preparation of press releases and press conferences;
- Manages strategic data releases for the organization including the annual teen birth data release and special events including Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month and Let’s Talk Month;
- Manages reactive media for the organization and develops response strategies including position statements, talking points, opinion pieces, letters to the editor and web postings;
- Manages the SC Campaign’s publications portfolio including the design, creation and dissemination of materials;
- Incorporates existing web strategies into the overall communication plan for the organization and identifies new areas for growth.
- Along with the Chief Executive Officer:
- Identifies donor prospects through suggestions from staff, past and current Board members, and existing donors and colleagues and subsequently grows the SC Campaign donor base;
- Educates, researches and solicits major gift prospects;
- Manages annual giving campaign to include mailings, online solicitations, social networking, etc.;
- Manages budget for fundraising activities;
- Oversees all donor communications and development database in an effort to build relationships with existing donors and develop relationships with new donors;
- Plans and implements fundraising events for the organization;
- Actively works to secure funding for the Summer Institute and other organizational events and programs including sponsorships, exhibitors, and advertisers;
- Assists with grant writing as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree in Communications or related field preferred and a minimum of 5 years managing communication/development efforts within an organization OR Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of experience.
- Previous experience in nonprofit fundraising/resource development to include major gifts, annual appeals, special events and similar activities
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
Submit cover letter describing your interest and experiences, your resume, and references to:
SC Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
Attn: Director of Communications and Development
Open until filled. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
The SC Campaign offers a competitive salary and benefits package.